Current Purpose and Mission Statements from our Bylaws:
The purpose of the Niles Discovery Church is to be a progressive, open and affirming church that serves the Bay Area Community, uniting in God’s love for all people regardless of race, age, nationality, physical ability, marital status, family configuration, mental ability, economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, religion, faith, or creed, encouraging them on the adventure we called the faith journey.
Our mission is to be a community based on Jesus’s message of love where all people can worship, learn, grow spiritually, and be welcomed and respected. Our goal is to transform our progressive Christian faith into loving actions that will include our neighbors, near and far. Our lives depend on our abiding faith in the all-inclusive love of God through Christ, and our commitment is to share this faith journey with others.
Proposed Mission, Values and Strategic Plan Goals
The following proposed Mission and Values Statements would replace the Mission and Purpose statement in the Bylaws and shown . This requires a congregational vote.
Following the example of Jesus, Niles Discovery Church welcomes all people, grows in our relationship with God and each other, and serves our neighbors near and far.
- Living out our Open and Affirming commitment by expressing God’s all-inclusive, extravagant love for all people, regardless of race, age, nationality, physical ability, marital status, family configuration, mental ability, economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, religion, faith, or creed
- Creating a community of faith that is intentionally diverse and anti-racist
- Caring for each other and ourselves as Jesus cares for us
- Striving toward a just society worldwide, where everyone has a fair share of resources to live with dignity
- Putting our faith into action through service to our community
- Creating a safe place for people to bring their doubt, their questions, and their whole authentic selves
- Encouraging people of all ages on the adventure we call the faith journey
- Committing to life-long learning and deepening of our faith
- Managing our community’s human and financial resources in a sustainable manner
- Implementing practices to sustain and repair the earth’s resources
- Engaging with the Bible seriously but not literally—wrestling with its meanings, exploring its mysteries, and understanding its relevance for our lives today
- Recognizing that the study of science and the practice of faith can be complementary and in harmony
- Drawing from diverse sources of wisdom for our spiritual journeys
DRAFT GOALS FOR THE STRATEGIC PLAN
Goal One: Increase our intergenerational, multicultural, hands-on mission and service by at least two projects per year.
Goal Two: Encourage the faith journeys of all members and visitors by increasing participation in programs by 10% annually.